Axonics is looking for an experienced full-time Legal Counsel who will play an integral role in providing Legal and Compliance support to all functions of a dynamic and rapidly growing medical technology company. This role will report to the General Counsel & Chief Compliance Officer the company.
General Description and Duties:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential task satisfactorily. The tasks listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform this job effectively.
- Provides legal advice and counseling on a broad range of legal issues that arise in a public medical device company, with a goal of enabling the company’s objectives while managing legal and compliance risk.
- Drafts, negotiates, and interprets various types of commercial contracts, including sales agreements, supply agreements, and non-disclosure agreements. Manage the legal contract review and approval process.
- Advises on potential complex business transactions, such as acquisitions.
- Collaborates with HR on employment law issues and handle employment litigation matters and claims. Works with HR to enhance our practices to minimize employment law risk.
- Manages legal disputes and litigation matters and implement liability avoidance initiatives.
- Helps manage corporate governance processes and compliance with securities laws.
- Drafts, implements, and manages legal and compliance policies.
- Trains and educates various functions on legal and compliance issues.
- Creates and manages legal and compliance policies, processes, and tools.
- Develops and maintains legal expertise in various areas, including but not limited to commercial law, securities law, healthcare law, and intellectual property law.
- Drives implementation of continuous improvements to Legal & Compliance function.
- Supports the General Counsel in conducting legal research, on a broad range of legal issues related to all aspects of the business.
Projects and Other Duties:
- Other duties assigned by manager
- Impeccable integrity and ethics
- Highly responsive and service-oriented
- Ability to understand and analyze complex factual and legal issues
- Strong attention to detail, combined with the ability to see the big picture
- Thrives in a fast-paced, demanding, dynamic environment
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to prioritize with a risk-based approach and juggle numerous issues at once
- Self-motivated, with an ability to work under own initiative, often under time critical conditions
- Can-do, problem-solving attitude
- Strong sense of intellectual curiosity
- Juris Doctorate degree from accredited U.S. law school
- Active bar membership in good standing (preferably CA)
- Experience with contracts and commercial transactions required
- Experience in medical device or life sciences industries a significant plus
- 4 years of experience as a practicing attorney, preferably with some in-house experience